Work With Us: Fine Art Technician
The ideal candidate will have a BA or higher in Art History and/or Arts Administration, and at least two-years-experience working as a fine art technician in a gallery, museum or similar organisation.
Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage member requests in an efficient manner. You will show exemplary attention to detail while working on multiple projects in an extremely fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
Primary role and responsibilities include:
- Expert handling of fine art objects adhering to best practice and Cromwell Place standards for (including but not limited to):
- Collections and deliveries: comprehensive understanding of how to safely load/unload a fine art vehicle and keep artwork secure and stable during transport; ensure artwork is stored safely in the Cromwell Place art storage facility.
- Packing/unpacking/crating: using proper archival materials and those appropriate to the medium/surface/condition and fragility of the artwork.
- Installation of a full range of fine art objects ranging from paintings and sculptures of all sizes, to mixed media works including AV, with the ability to determine the proper tools and fixings required and exercise aesthetic judgment as needed.
- Comprehensive condition reporting for all types of artwork.
- Prepare viewing rooms for Members (movement of works from art storage to viewing rooms, installation of works, etc.)
- Wall preparation and general upkeep of galleries between exhibitions.
- Assist in the management and upkeep of on-site art storage facility (working alongside the Art Storage Manager).
- Enforce and follow all health & safety procedures and processes within the Exhibition services and Cromwell Place.
- Assist the Senior Art Technician in managing freelance technicians in safe and proper art handling practices and ensure these are being executed at all times by the team of technicians and registrar
- Interact positively and communicate diplomatically with all members, colleagues and vendors.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- BA (Art History, Arts Administration preferred).
- 2+ years experience working as a fine art technician in a museum, gallery, art logistics company or similar.
- Understanding of and ability to articulate art handling best practices for packing/crating, transportation/shipping, and installation.
- Basic familiarity with art, art history, and terminology.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable working with bespoke software (Cromwell Place own inventory management system)
- Ability to work under pressure and within a growing arts organisation.
- Proficiency using Artlogic as an inventory management system
- Valid driver’s license; must have a clean driving record.
Conditions of Work
- Permanent contract.
- Hours of work: Full time. Working hours are variable, with some evening and weekend work required on a
- rotational basis.
- Probation period: 3 months.
- Notice period: 1 month in writing on either side.
In addition, the benefits you are eligible to receive are:
- 28 days annual holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- You will be eligible to participate in the business’s pension scheme.
- Training opportunities.
Please submit your CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, who can also be contacted for additional information relating to the role.
Cromwell Place is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.